Submission to Draft Housing Strategy Discussion Paper
UDIA NSW makes the following overarching recommendations:
1. UDIA NSW strongly recommends the NSW Government commit to ongoing consultation and engagement with the industry in the preparation of the Strategy
before its finalisation.
2. The status of the Strategy needs to be defined, and roles and responsibilities for implementing the Strategy require clarity.
3. The future Strategy would benefit from aligning with now well-understood terms and definitions.
4. UDIA NSW would strongly encourage more robust recognition of impediments to delivering housing, and the identification of initiatives that could unlock delivery.
5. Transparent reporting and monitoring is a critical principle that should underpin the future Strategy.
6. The Housing Strategy should acknowledge and encourage diverse forms of tenure.
7. Clarification is sought from the NSW Government as to how the NSW Housing Strategy will be coordinated or implemented alongside local council housing
strategies, particularly the strategies that have already progressed.
8. UDIA NSW calls on the NSW Government to actively collaborate with the industry in the preparation and implementation of the Housing Strategy by inserting clear
commitments in the Strategy to do so.
9. UDIA NSW calls for the Housing Strategy to signal the need for a more coordinated, joined-up and transparent forward agenda for land use and transport planning integration – in order to drive better outcomes for new housing production.